[Hamlet draws forth the dead body of Polonius.]
QUEEN: O, what a rash and bloody deed is this!
- HAMLET: A bloody deed!almost as bad, good mother,
- As kill a king and marry with his brother.
QUEEN: As kill a king!
- HAMLET: Ay, lady, 'twas my word.
- Leave wringing of your hands: peace! sit you down,
- And let me wring your heart: for so I shall,
- If it be made of penetrable stuff.
- Look here upon this picture, and on this,
- The counterfeit presentment of two brothers.
- See what a grace was seated on this brow;
- Hyperion's curls; the front of Jove himself;
- An eye like Mars, to threaten and command;
- A station like the herald Mercury
- New lighted on a heaven-kissing hill:
- A combination and a form, indeed,
- Where every god did seem to set his seal,
- To give the world assurance of a man;
- This was your husband.Look you now what follows:
- Here is your husband, like a milldew'd ear
- Blasting his wholesome brother. Have you eyes?
- Could you on this fair mountain leave to feed,
- And batten on this moor?
- QUEEN: O Hamlet, speak no more:
- These words like daggers enter in mine ears;
- No more, sweet Hamlet.
HAMLET: A murderer and a villain;
QUEEN: No more.
HAMLET: A king of shreds and patches!--
- Save me and hover o'er me with your wings,
- You heavenly guards!What would your gracious figure?
- QUEEN: Alas, how is't with you,
- That you do bend your eye on vacancy,
- And with the incorporal air do hold discourse?
- Whereon do you look?
- HAMLET: On him, on him! Look you how pale he glares!
- Do you see nothing there?
QUEEN: Nothing at all.
HAMLET: Nor did you nothing hear?
QUEEN: No, nothing but ourselves.
- HAMLET: Why, look you there! look how it steals away!
- My father, in his habit as he liv'd!
- Look, where he goes, even now out at the portal!
- QUEEN: This is the very coinage of your brain:
- This bodiless creation ecstasy
- Is very cunning in.
- HAMLET: Ecstasy!
- My pulse, as yours, doth temperately keep time,
- And makes as healthful music: it is not madness
- That I have utter'd: bring me to the test,
- And I the matter will re-word; which madness
- Would gambol from. Mother, for love of grace,
- Lay not that flattering unction to your soul
- That not your trespass, but my madness speaks:
- It will but skin and film the ulcerous place,
- Whilst rank corruption, mining all within,
- Infects unseen. Confess yourself to heaven;
- Repent what's past; avoid what is to come;
- And do not spread the compost on the weeds,
- To make them ranker.
QUEEN: O Hamlet, thou hast cleft my heart in twain.
- HAMLET: O, throw away the worser part of it,
- And live the purer with the other half.
- Go not to mine uncle's bed;
- Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
- Refrain to-night;
- And that shall lend a kind of easiness
- To the next abstinence: the next more easy;
- For use almost can change the stamp of nature,
- And either curb the devil, or throw him out
- With wondrous potency.For this same lord
[Pointing to Polonius.]
- I do repent; but heaven hath pleas'd it so,
- To punish me with this, and this with me,
- That I must be their scourge and minister.
- One word more, good lady.
- Let not the bloat king tempt you again to bed;
- Pinch wanton on your cheek; call you his mouse;
- And let him, for a pair of reechy kisses,
- Or paddling in your neck with his damn'd fingers,
- Make you to ravel all this matter out,
- That I essentially am not in madness,
- But mad in craft. 'Twere good you let him know;
- For who that's but a queen, fair, sober, wise,
- Would from a paddock, from a bat, a gib,
- Such dear concernings hide? who would do so?
- No, in despite of sense and secrecy,
- Unpeg the basket on the house's top,
- Let the birds fly, and, like the famous ape,
- To try conclusions, in the basket creep
- And break your own neck down.
[Exit Hamlet, dragging out Polonius.]